This section describes how to find articles about nursing theory, including specific nursing theories in CINAHL.
CINAHL is the premier nursing database and should be the first place you try to find nursing journal articles. Most articles written about nursing theory or that apply nursing theory to research appear in nursing journals. Therefore, most nursing theory searches should be able to be completed in CINAHL.
- To find articles about a nursing theory, including those that apply a specific nursing theory to practice, you'll want to complete a keyword search in CINAHL.
- To do keyword searching in CINAHL, simply enter your keyword(s) and leave the dropdown at the default of 'Select A Field (optional)'.
- There's not one correct way to do keyword searching in CINAHL - it's very important to try different keyword combinations.
- You may be able to simply enter the name of the nursing theory into the searchbox. If this retrieves too many results, try adding the theorist's last name.
CINAHL Search Examples (Keyword):
- self-care deficit theory
- human becoming theory AND Parse
- Roy adaptation model
This section describes how to best find articles authored by nursing theorists in CINAHL.
CINAHL is the premier nursing database and should be the first place you try to find nursing journal articles. Since most articles written by nursing theorists appear in nursing journals, most nursing theorist searches should be able to be completed in CINAHL.
CINAHL Search Examples (Author):