A. Curricular/Research/Programmatic needs
The purpose of the physics and astronomy collection is to support the research and teaching needs in the fields of physics and astronomy. The collection supports the research and teaching needs of the Department of Physics and Astronomy and the Cyclotron within the College of Natural Resources, as well as the interdisciplinary research needs of the entire university community. The collection is maintained at a graduate/research level in most areas, however materials for undergraduate physics are also collected.
B. History of the Collection/Existing strengths and emphases
The library opened in September, 1949 as the Physics-Math Library. In 1967 the Math Department and its library materials moved to Wells Hall. In 1972 the Physics Library became the Physics-Astronomy Library. In 1990, the first Physics-Astronomy librarian was hired to manage the collection on a half-time basis. In 2002, the Physics-Astronomy Library moved and merged its collections with the Chemistry Library into the new Biomedical and Physical Sciences (BPS) Library. In December 2009 the BPS Library closed and its collections were relocated to the Main Library. A small number of number of older, print journals, conference proceedings, and and monographs are located in the Cyclotron Library, which is not open to the public.