Alliance of Queer and Ally Students records (UA 12.3.24)
- 4.0 cubic feet
- The Alliance of Queer and Ally Students originated in 1970 as the Michigan State University Gay Liberation Movement, a registered student organization. Its objective was to provide lesbian and gay students with representation in student government, educate the public on issues of sexual orientation, and to counter discrimination and harassment. It played a crucial role in the passage of the city of East Lansing’s now historically significant non-discrimination ordinance in 1972.
- In 1977 the name of the group changed to the MSU Gay Liberation Council. Subsequently, it was renamed the MSU Lesbian/Gay Council, then the Alliance of Lesbian-Bi-Gay Students (ALBGS). In 2005, the student organization was renamed the Alliance of Lesbian, Bisexual, Gay, Transgendered and Straight Ally Students. In 2010, the name changed to Alliance of Queer and Ally Students.
- Records consist of announcements, correspondence, flyers, and minutes of the organization. There are also newsletters, event flyers, and material relating to Lansing and East Lansing, Michigan, LBGTA groups and women's groups. There are also newsletters, event flyers, and other material relating to Midwestern and National LBGTA groups. Electronic Resources includes meeting minutes, agendas and other student group-related text documents. Student-produced television documentary film entitled “Some Call It Funny” mentioned in the 1972 minutes. The film features gay students at MSU (Box 2582, Folder 7). Digitized version of “Some Call It Funny” is available for viewing in the Archives.
- Finding aid to the collection: https://findingaids.lib.msu.edu/repositories/2/resources/672
Associated Students of MSU records (UA 12.1.1)
Spectrum records (UA 12.3.60)
- 0.1 cubic feet
- The Spectrum is a Michigan State University student organization representing Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender students. Spectrum’s mission is to provide a secure and compassionate campus for LGBTA students to meet for conversation and activities. The Spectrum records consist of the organization’s constitution, event flyers, and meeting announcements.
- Finding aid to the collection: https://findingaids.lib.msu.edu/repositories/2/resources/1811
Student Coalition for Political Awareness and Freedom of Expression record (UA 12.3.53)
- 1 folder
- The records of the Student Coalition for Political Awareness and Freedom of Expression (SCOPAFE) consist of one issue of The Campus Rag from 1988. The issue contains political articles, fiction, and humor pieces. The issue includes an article about condom distribution on campus by the MSU group, Condoms on Campus, and the article “20 Years after Stonewall” by the Lesbian/Gay Council of MSU.
- Finding aid to the collection: https://findingaids.lib.msu.edu/repositories/2/resources/1807