Many indexes provide the full text of articles; however, many others do not. For those that do not, there are several ways to find the full text of articles (either in print format or online) after you have searched an index. The steps are detailed below:
- Step 1: Look for a Link
- When searching an index for articles, take a look at your results screen or a more detailed record of the item you want to retrieve. Often there a link to the full text of the article somewhere on the results screen or in the detailed record. The link may say Jump to Full Text, View Full Text, Text with Graphics, Page Image, or PDF If one of those links appears, click on it and you will retrieve the full text of the article.
If there is no link to the full text, go to Step 2.
- Step 2: Find Articles through Find Text@MSU
- Look for a Find Text@MSUlink within the record of the article. If there is one, click on it and a new window will open with a series of options for finding the full text. Options will vary but may include:
- Find Full Text at…If an online version of the item is available, one or more links will appear in this category. Usually this links directly to a specific article. Sometimes it may link to the table of contents for a journal issue, a list of volumes and issues available for a specific journal, or a search screen. You will then need to navigate or perform a search to reach the full text of the article. Sometimes multiple links offer you a choice of full-text options. If one does not work, try another.
- Check Library Catalog… This is a shortcut to search the MSU Libraries’ catalog for availability using multiple search methods (by journal title, title, ISSN or ISBN). Even if the full text is not available online, a print copy may be.
- Request a copy from… This is a shortcut to the MSU Libraries’ interlibrary loan service. If an item is not available online or in print at the MSU Libraries, this link helps you request the item using Interlibrary Loan.
If you are still unable to locate the article, proceed to Using a Citation to Find an Article.