Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
General Tips and Advice
- Check the MSU Online Catalog for books, videos, and more. Note that the MSU Online Catalog is a union catalog which includes the holdings of the Library of Michigan, the MSU College of Law Library, and other branches on our own campus.
- Do a wider search using MelCat (a network of participating Michigan libraries) or WorldCat (searches thousands of libraries). You can request non-MSU Library materials through interlibrary loan. NOTE: Not all materials listed in MelCat or WorldCat can be borrowed through interlibrary loan, but many can.
- Don't forget to use the bibliographies in reference works, books, and articles to identify other resources on your topic.
Library of Congress Subject Headings
While searching by keyword may do the trick for finding the books you need, you can almost always find additional works using the Library of Congress subject headings assigned to the more relevant ones. Here are some examples of LC subject headings you can use to search the MSU Library online catalog, MelCat, or WorldCat:
- Immigrants--United States--History
- Women immigrants--United States
- Immigrants--United States--Social conditions
- United States--Emigration and immigration--History
- United States--Ethnic relations--History
- Italian Americans
- Iranian Americans
- German Americans