First Meeting & Critical Let's Play Event: Five Nights at Freddy's & Responses to Anxiety in Gaming
Planning Group Meeting 11/09/2017
Overwatch & Cultural Appropriation 11/30/2017
- See 11/09/2017 Planning Group Meeting items (below)
- Watch Overwatch short films or compilation (links below)
- Play Overwatch to get a sense of community and cultural norms
Akiba's Trip & Differing Regional Norms 2/26/2018
Thunderbird Strike & Indigenous Game Dev 3/26/2018
Breath of the Wild & Gender Representation 4/23/2018
Fortnite & The Battle Royale Phenomenon 9/23/2018
Bloodborne & Academia as an Arm of Colonization Ft. Robin Aultz 10/17/2018
Fire Emblem Heroes & F2P vs P2W, Gacha vs. Gambling 11/14/2018
Celeste, Borderlands, Skullgirls, and Pokémon in Accessibility & Gaming, 12/5/2018
Dark Souls | "Transmisogyny and Translation" with Robin Aultz, 1/23/2019
Halo: Combat Evolved | "Speedrunning and Intended Play" with Ronny Ford and special guest Ayre, 2/20/2019
- General theory of speedrunning: http://gamestudies.org/1401/articles/scullyblaker
- The Stanley Parable, Dark Souls, and Intended Play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHmivGmkjJw
- Speedrun improvements over time (BotW): https://kotaku-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/kotaku.com/breath-of-the-wild-speedrunning-has-changed-a-lot-in-tw-1832436680/amp?amp_js_v=a2&_gsa=1#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&_tf=From%20%251%24s&share=https%3A%2F%2Fkotaku.com%2Fbreath-of-the-wild-speedrunning-has-changed-a-lot-in-tw-1832436680
- Developer takes on speedrunning: http://go.galegroup.com.proxy2.cl.msu.edu.proxy1.cl.msu.edu/ps/i.do?p=AONE&u=msu_main&id=GALE%7CA320867656&v=2.1&it=r&sid=summon
- The Aesthetics of Speedrunning: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uEVXzqjTsc7zPA6TjyrBbtNvOyYW_l3QG1KVEht2qRo/edit?fbclid=IwAR31fj2HhghBQtfmIcvHFfALfQRHWn82WePcDYqXHyGtGMjxgoAYoyMFm2s
- Conference paper version of above: https://www.academia.edu/29053989/Aesthetics_of_Speedrunning?fbclid=IwAR2_cwXsqWNTDD4SJ4ShT9FtKDBWdJr7HxGKHppziD0mlsFHoFB--Y39Nc0
- On Speedrunning in Final Fantasy: https://figshare.com/articles/Well_Played_--_Vol_5_No_2/6687041
- Origins of speedrunning: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1386/jmpr.7.1.25/1?fbclid=IwAR3UjMD8jBJwB4o14xBGQcRaZhUty_TX0iKPrMP82PbJcOhHC9GY8lhJSRc
- On Speedrunning’s narrative implications in Zombie games: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1555412018821528?fbclid=IwAR3WJ-Z42G0kTr3JSyBjUOti1bb2QKXoZo0xzAEVDsI06I_ZKA_KElEXyuA
- On Speedrunning Communities and E-Sports: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1354856518809667?fbclid=IwAR2JfEfy157cW88c-TPYE51DiresUw6JCxTeKN9y1UIEh0jQPZ4b5Bo7scg
- Speedrun variants: https://www-eurogamer-net.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.eurogamer.net/amp/2019-02-07-speedrunner-smashes-fallout-anthology-sex-run-world-record?amp_js_v=a2&_gsa=1#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&_tf=From%20%251%24s&share=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.eurogamer.net%2Farticles%2F2019-02-07-speedrunner-smashes-fallout-anthology-sex-run-world-record
- On Tool-Assisted Speedrunning: http://www.eludamos.org/index.php/eludamos/article/view/vol8no1-2?fbclid=IwAR1azsjPAPRaXTeT7Min9ckzDKFzGk61qzFSA62596l1-7pM-IVZ9_5Pm6g
- First Chapter of Metagaming: https://manifold.umn.edu/projects/metagaming?fbclid=IwAR0s_11l0voRdo1z2UFTjUaBfqZQKuza13Ac7M3by_TC86WbfB8m8l4ylKc
- Ludopolitics has a section: http://www.zero-books.net/books/ludopolitics?fbclid=IwAR32YAGFuISEYPJvkhExLWqzKkUFfOx6vQcj679vYN-7kZUuk8TUtW7ruS4
- Tokarski, Justin C., "A meditation on loss within games"
World of Warcraft | "History and Worldbuilding" with Daniel Fandino, 3/20/2019
Gone Home | "Queer Games" with Cody Mejeur, 4/10/2019
- Greer, Sam. “Queer Representation in Games Isn’t Good Enough, but It Is Getting Better.” Gamesradar, 15 May 2018, https://www.gamesradar.com/queer-representation-in-games-isnt-good-enough-but-it-is-getting-better/.
- Kagan, Melissa. “Walking Simulators and the Gender of Wandering.” The Year’s Work in Nerds, Wonks, and Neocons, edited by Jonathan P. Eburne and Benjamin Schreier, Indiana University Press, 2017.
- Kopas, Merritt. “On Gone Home.” Queer Game Studies, edited by Bonnie Ruberg and Adrienne Shaw, University of Minnesota Press, 2017, pp. 145–52.
- Pavlounis, Dimitrios. “Straightening Up the Archive: Queer Historiography, Queer Play, and the Archival Politics of Gone Home.” Television & New Media, vol. 17, no. 7, Nov. 2016, pp. 579–94. Crossref, doi:10.1177/1527476416631627.
Rovi Vault Hunting: Every Friday, 11:30am - 1:30pm all summer long (2019)
Join Jonah and/or the occasional GSG special guest for an interactive, package-to-pixels plunge into a different title from the Rovi Gaming Collection. From MSU Libraries’ Video Game Labs to your screen, via Twitch, we will unpack and play with a critical eye. Will old classics hold up, or will new problems emerge under a modern social lens? Do technological advances offer more meaningful ways to play? How can video games support scholarship, anyway? Tune in and help us find out!
5/24 Heavy Rain
6/21 Mirror's Edge
6/28 Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
7/5 Mass Effect 3
7/12 Prison Architect
7/19 Farming Simulator
7/26 Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City
8/2 Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Special thanks to Chelsea Ryan for co-hosting!
Wednesday, 9/18, 7:00-8:30pm
Dawn of the Final Day: Majora’s Mask and the Gothic presented by Jonny Thurston
Wednesday, 10/16, 7:00-8:30pm (cancelled)
Yomawari: Night Alone – Traditional Folklore and Contemporary Horror presented by Dan Fandino
Wednesday, 11/20, 7:00-8:30pm
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice – Duty, Loyalty, and Who (or What) We Pledge Them to presented by Robin Aultz
Inventing the Way of the Samurai: Nationalism, Internationalism, Bushido in Modern Japan Call # BJ971.B8 B455 2014
Wednesday, 12/11, 7:00-8:30pm
Casual Wrap, Game and Chill (Join us to wind down at the end of the semester)
“Rage Games and the Aesthetics of Frustration” presented by Jonny Thurston and Bruno Ford
This session will explore as many of the following games as time and patience allow:
This session will refer to the following articles:
- Silvia, Paul, and Elizabeth Brown. "Anger, disgust, and the negative aesthetic emotions: Expanding an appraisal model of aesthetic experience." Psychology of Aesthetics, Creativity, and the Arts 1.2 (2007): 100-106.
- Jagoda, Patrick. "On Difficulty in Video Games: Mechanics, Interpretation, Affect." Critical Inquiry 45.1 (2018): 199-233.
- Engelhardt, Christopher R., Joseph Hilgard, and Bruce D. Bartholow. "Acute Exposure to Difficult (but Not Violent) Video Games Dysregulates Cognitive Control." Computers in Human Behavior, vol. 45, 2015, pp. 85-92.
- Fraser, James, Michael Katchabaw, and Robert E. Mercer. "A Methodological Approach to Identifying and Quantifying Video Game Difficulty Factors." Entertainment Computing, vol. 5, no. 4, 2014, pp. 441-449.