Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
About the OER Award Program
To encourage the use, adaptation, and creation of openly licensed learning materials, Michigan State University Libraries is pleased to announce the OER Award Program. This award is an incentive program for instructors interested in adopting, adapting, or creating OER as an alternative to traditional textbooks and a pathway to increasing student success. For more information, please visit the OER Program web site.
OER Award CFP 2021-2022
This document presents an overview of the OER Award Program for the academic year 2021-2022 including requirements and timelines.
OER Development Process
OER Development Flowchart
This OER development flowchart serves as a guide for the process and tasks needed to complete an OER project.
OER Award Categories
Adoption of Existing OER
- This category entails identifying existing OER materials suitable for your intended course, reviewing materials to ensure congruence with course learning outcomes, selecting and adopting the OER, and ensuring that these materials have the quality and rigor to maintain the integrity of the course.
- The maximum award for this category is $1,000 per successful application.
Adaptation/Remix of Multiple OER
- This category requires revision and remix of multiple OER that results in a new openly-licensed material. Examples consist of editing existing chapters of an open textbook, adding new materials from other sources removing sections not appropriate, and bringing together several openly licensed sources.
- The maximum award is $2,500 per successful application.
Creation and Development of New OER
- This category includes the creation and development of a completely new OER by writing, developing, and creating open textbooks and any supplemental materials (laboratory manuals, interactive homework, learning components, etc.).
- The maximum award is $4,000 per successful application.
Continuous Improvement Grants
- This category aims to support OER sustainability through substantial improvement and revision of OER used in existing courses, creation of new ancillary materials for existing OER courses, or the replacement of current OER in courses with new or better OER.
- The maximum award is $3,000 per successful application.
Scaling Up OER Grants
OER Program Promotional Video
OER Award Application Forms
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact Regina Gong, OER & Student Success Librarian at firstname.lastname@example.org for a project consultation.