Skip to Main Content
Michigan State University

Health Data & Statistics Research Guide: Substance Abuse

Substance Abuse

Bureau of Justice Statistics

Drugs & Crime Facts
The Bureau of Justice Statistics presents information on drug-related crimes, law enforcement, corrections, drug use and public opinion about drugs. No longer updated

Michigan Office of Recovery Oriented Systems of Care (formerly the Office of Drug Control Policy)

Reports, Statistics, Etc.
This agency of the Michigan Department of Community Health features a page of reports and statistics.  Included is data on treatment, youth risk factors, trend reports and survey reports.

National Institute on Drug Abuse

Monitoring the Future
An ongoing study of the behaviors, attitudes, and values of American secondary school students, college students, and young adults. The website includes data tables and a list of publications. Datasets and online analysis are available from ICPSR. (Search for "Monitoring the Future").

Trends and Statistics
This agency of the National Institutes of Health provides a page with publications and related links that include trends and statistics.

Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration Data and Dissemination

The primary source of information on the prevalence, patterns, and consequences of alcohol, tobacco, and illegal drug use and abuse in the general U.S. civilian non-institutionalized population, ages 12 and older.

U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency

Drug Fact Sheets
The DEA has prepared briefs that describe the appearance and properties of 29 commonly abused drugs.

Clandestine Drug Labs in the United States

Information on locations in the US where law enforcement reportedly found illegal chemicals of some sort. Can be viewed by state.

Need Help?

If you or someone you know is struggling with mental health or substance abuse issues, you can call SAMSA's national helpline (tel:1-800-662-4357) or use their treatment facility locator to find good options near you. 

You can also contact MSU Counseling and Psychiatric Services if you're affiliated with the university.